By Russell Blackford
50 Voices of Disbelief: Why we're Atheists presents a suite of unique essays drawn from a world crew of favourite voices within the fields of academia, technological know-how, literature, media and politics who provide conscientiously thought of statements of why they're atheists.
- Features a really foreign solid of individuals, starting from public intellectuals corresponding to Peter Singer, Susan Blackmore, and A.C. Grayling, novelists, comparable to Joe Haldeman, and heavyweight philosophers of faith, together with Graham Oppy and Michael Tooley
- Contributions diversity from rigorous philosophical arguments to hugely own, even whimsical, debts of the way each one of those extraordinary thinkers have come to reject faith of their lives
- Likely to have extensive allure given the present public fascination with non secular matters and the reception of such books as The God Delusion and The finish of Faith
Read Online or Download 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists PDF
Similar religious studies books
Anne Warfield Rawls argues that, even though Durkheim's The easy sorts of faith is the crowning success of his sociological accomplishments, it's been constantly misunderstood. instead of a piece on primitive faith or the sociology of data, Rawls asserts that Durkheim's research represents an try and determine a special epistemological foundation for the learn of sociology and ethical relatives.
Robust forces of social swap on the flip of the 19th century compelled American church buildings and their individuals to confront, for the 1st time, the problem of non secular toleration. Christiano analyzes the results of mass immigration and urbanization on quite a few groups. those upheavals required the proven church buildings to both settle for or repel a degree of non secular range unimagined via the architects of yank liberty.
The contributions during this booklet spotlight, contextualize and examine varied facets of social inequality. What are some of the reason and results of inequality? How have those replaced over contemporary a long time? Which social rules will be most sensible in a position to interfere? Written by means of authors from quite a few disciplines and realms, those contributions offer a wealthy account of inequality inside modern society.
- The Case for God
- Persecuted: The Global Assault on Christians, Edition: 1ª
- Rationalism, Religion, and Domination: A Weberian Perspective
- The Case For Religion
- Religion and Society: On the Present-Day Religious Situation (Intercultural Theology and Study of Religions)
Additional info for 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists
Damn! Just to make sure I would stay seated, Hopie held on to my arm as if to keep me restrained from venturing further into rationalism. I was embarrassed – not because I had stood up – but because I was allowing myself to stay seated in the church pew. In actuality, one more minute of religious nonsense was going to make me scream! Needless to say, the ruse only disappointed me. All the other people in the youth group stood up and “testified” their faith. I passed. What I really wanted to do was find the basement and play tricks on them.
Pastor Leath heard my Bible slam shut and stared down at me from the pulpit. I stared back. It was a stand off of wills. With our eyes locked he publicly admonished me for being disrespectful and noisy. I was not intimidated, nor was I apologetic. Even as a youngster, I could not extend unquestioning respect to figures of authority. My acquaintances and teachers had to earn my respect. I questioned why Pastor Leath had so much power over the people at Truett. 00 am sharp on Sunday mornings to attend his sermons.
Look around you. The world is a beautiful and fascinating place. There is no need to imagine a heaven. Your heaven can be made in the here and the now with good life choices. Do you want life after death? Create a legacy worth remembering. When people speak of you, you will live again. Need someone or something to worship? Look in the mirror and decide to live every moment as if it were your last. With pride in yourself and acknowledgment of the fact that you only have one life, your home is your heaven and you are a god.